Tuesday, July 5, 2011

[Introducing] Interview with Ignite Records

I would like to introduce you guys to Fionn Patrick, the owner of Ignite Records. He's a friend of us here at Justice Never Sleeps and its about time I show you what a nice fucking chap he is! So here's a little interview with him and his successful Record Label.

Q: So my friend, what made you want to start a Record Label?

I'd been on a few labels and started a few with other bands so I'd already dabbled and gained some good experience. I set up Ignite Records to release my own music originally.

Q: You've moved on a lot since then, what prompted the sighing of bands and other artists to your Label?

I began to realise there was some real quality music that my friends bands were needing help releasing. It was a good opportunity to test drive the process and some of our campaign formats. I began picking up bands through chance meetings and gigs I would never normally go to. When I was in these situations It was a bit like, "Why is this band not huge!" So of course I'd sign them and we'd start working together. It's amazing how many bands really struggle to make a good job of releasing their music!

Q: In the last year you've certainly made a lot of progress and had some big successes. What do you put this down to?

If the music is quality and you are dedicated to getting it out to the right places/people, it will get picked up. There's only so many things you can do in a short space of time, the art is only doing the right things that will be worthwhile. That comes with experience of every release I've ever worked on. A good way to think about it would be to work out who your audience are and if you were them, where/how would you like to come across your music.

Q: Where do you see yourself in a year’s time? Anything we should look forward to!!!????

The most exciting thing we have coming up will be our crossover releases with Ignite Records in the US. Hopefully this will gain our artists some really good exposure overseas.

Q: What advice would you give to upcoming bands and emerging artists?

Always keep an eye on the bigger picture. Take constructive criticism on board and have the fight to prove your worth.The bands that eventually make it are usually last men standing. Do you know how long it took Biffy Clyro to make anything of themselves??

I remember going with my older brother to see them at the Raigmore Motel in Inverness in like of 12 people!

Q: What’s the best and worst thing about the UK music scene right now? And if you could change one thing about it, what would it be?

I think it is the people that are the music industry. You'll find they either can't play an instrument or a poor musician. And we've got to ask ourselves, if we didn't have radio or festivals would we still have bands? Of course we would. I think this needs to be remembered. These things were invented so people could enjoy music more collectively. Bands should never have to bow or grovel for festival slots or radio play. They should be given these opportunities on the basis that they produce good music and not because they are at the mercy of radio DJ’s with poor personalities or festival promoters who are more interested in making their bucks. I think there is little respect for bands when they are starting out and they usually have to do a lot of running before they'll get noticed or be perceived to be worth talking to. We're all human, we're all equal. No radio DJ or festival promoter could argue otherwise

Q: You feel very strongly on this subject, how would feel would be the best solution on fixing it?

I think all it needs is a change in perspective. I could say that about a lot of the problems we have in the world today. The bottom line is that the reason you're in the music industry is because you are a fan of music and you wouldn't be the person you are today without that. For the music industry folks that fall into neither categories, I'd probably recommend they worked somewhere more suitable to their desires (like a bank!!).

Q: And finally, if you could have one super power, what would it be and why?

Ah, there's always the booby question. Errmmm....I would like to be able to control time. There aren't enough hours in the day!! Plus I could go back and change the few things I could have done a lot better

No comments:

Post a Comment